Franco Biondi Santi Remembered.
If you know of Brunello di Montalcino, the Tuscan benchmark for world-class wine, it is due to the efforts of Franco Biondi Santi and his family. The stately “gentleman of Brunello” passed away in April of 2013 at the age of 91, less than a year after we met at his beloved ancestral estate Tenuta Il Greppo.
To arrive at his home, we passed through a majestic evergreen tunnel of 300-year-old cypress trees and I found myself wondering how many before had traversed this narrow tree-lined lane. In Mr. Biondi Santi’s autobiography he recounts his perilous trip home from the French border during World War II. “In my mind’s eye” he wrote, “I can still see my father waiting for me at Il Greppo as I walk down the cypress-lined avenue.”Read More
Most Popular Posts
- Super Bowl - The Menus Says Sweet, Your Friends Want Dry
- The Best of WineSnark 2016
- Christmas with Graham's Port - Oh, and the Family's Coming Too
- 'Twas the Night Before the Wine of the Year Was Announced
- Born Digital Wine Awards - WineSnark Honored in Europe
- Either I'm Getting Older or I'm Not As Young As I Used To Be
- Life On The Road - Without Any Brakes See More
- Margrit Mondavi.A Lighthouse for the Arts
- 2006 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 10 Years After (part 2)
- 2006 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 10 Years After (part 1)
- It's Willamette Dammit. Oregon Pinot Noir Rated in Blind Tasting.
- Wine Industry Battles 'Silent But Deadly' Gas Emissions
- The Most Interesting Man in the World is Banished to Mars!
- Gimme Somm Lovin'
- "Judgement at Don's House" Revisited
- Red Blend Sales Come Alive - Merlot Sales Take A Dive. Plus Blendfest On The Coast
- Riedel Glass Unveils the C Cup for Coffee Connoisseurs
- Found Object Art Found in Wine Country
- Adventures on the Wine Route (or This Sure Ain't France)
- Super Bowl; Because We Need Another Reason To Drink Wine
- Harvard Study; Men Who Drink Wine Give Wives a Hard Time
- The Best Snarcasms of 2015
- The Ghost of Christmas Past Keeps Calling and Calling
- Top Wine Stories of 2015 From The Star Wars Galactic Empire
- Scotts Name The Top 100 Most Influential Wine Blogs. My Arse!
- Loving Wine, In Spite of Itself
- The 2015 Wine Blog Award Finalists Have Been Announced.
- Napa Auction Sets New Records For Single Lot, E-Auction, Barrel Tasting, & Blood Alcohol Level.
- Life Worth Living Starts With Wine Worth Drinking
- Urine Trouble
- New Year's Eve, A Pahlmeyer Tasting & Downton Abbey
- The Best Of WineSnark 2014
- A Magical Christmas Moment
- Will New Jersey Wineries Finally Get Respect?
- The Future’s Not Ours To See. Que Syrah, Syrah
- Who's On Thirst?
- New Jersey Wineries Are Bringing Home The Bling
- Le Chanceux's Tale of Inspiration, Courage & a Little Luck
- The Topsy-Turvy Vineyards Of Babcock Winery
- The (Rutherford) Dust Settles After The Napa Earthquake
- Napa Earthquake Delivers Bruising Punch
- The Monthly Wine Writing Challenge; My Best Friend Wine
- The Wine Review Review #1
- Getting 'Stuck' In Napa, Then A Visit To Rombauer Vineyards
- Russian River Delivers Outstanding Chardonnay
- Tasting Young Barolo, Somebody Has To Do It
- Buying Bordeaux Doesn't Always Require A Home Equity Loan
- Another Tough Day At Work
- Spot The Frog
Chapter One; The Fascinating Fruit
Chapter Two; Making Sense Of Your Senses
Chapter Three; Tasting Techniques
- Intro To The Obligatory Chapter On Wine Tasting Techniques.
- Quality Hangs In The Balance.
- Visual Wine Inspection, Bubble Trouble & Cosmic Crystals. See More
- Visual Wine Inspection; Looking For Clarity, Color & Intensity.
- Wine Evaluation; The Nose Knows No's Not An Option.
- A Lesson In How To Smell Better.
- It's A Matter Of Degrees.
- The Wine Aroma Wheel Goes Round & Round.
- Wine Tasting Techniques; How To Taste Better.
- Wine Tasting Techniques; Weight A Minute.
Chapter Four; So You Want To Be A Wine Critic
Chapter Five; Opiners & Writers & Bores, Oh My!
Chapter Six; Euphemisms, Similes & Metaphors
Chapter Seven; Pun Fun & Other Label Misadventures
Chapter Nine; Food And Wine Pairing
Chapter Ten; Are We Almost There Yet?
Chapter Eleven; Terroir. It’s Down To Earth
Chapter Twelve; Fermentation Edification
Chapter Thirteen; The Mighty Oak
Chapter Fourteen; The Fruit Of The Vine
Chapter Fifteen; Wine Rules, AKA Acronymphomania
Chapter Sixteen; France
- Change Comes Slowly To Bordeaux.
- A Look At French Wine Laws
- Bordeaux Has Class See More
- Ch Ch Ch Changes to the 1855 Bordeaux Wine Classification
- Bordeaux Grape Varieties; Comfort Food For The Oenophile
- A Stroll Through History On The Roman Road To St.-Emilion
- Why Is It So Hard To Find Your Favorite Burgundy & The French Wine Boycott That Spurred Sales
- What's In a Burgundy?
- All Beaujolais Is Burgundy But Not All Burgundy Is Beaujolais
- Loire Valley Wines Come Clean
- Muscadet. Do I Taste Seashells or is it Just a Fluke?
- The Wines of Anjou-Saumur Take Me Back to a Classier Time